Pikes Peak

Pikes Peak

Thursday 10 November 2011

All things orange and black

I think the universe is trying to tell us something...

It all started the week before Halloween, when we received a lovely surprise package on our door step.  It was a wonderful gift from Aunty Lisa, Uncle Miles, Patrick, Lachlan and Juanita for RJ:  A West's Tigers jersey and shorts.  As you can all imagine, you couldn't wipe the grin off Tristan's face.  Another generation of Tiger's supporters in the family (sigh).  The cute little orange and black outfit currently has pride of place in RJ's bedroom, and it's not unusual for Tristan to wonder passed, pop his head in for a peak, and walk away with a cheeky, knowing smile that his boy will grow up loving Tigerland.

Later that week, we "celebrated" Halloween at a friend's house. They decorated their entire basement to look like a creepy dungeon. It was fantastic!  Tristan and I dressed up as a gangster and a flapper - I think I looked like a pregnant whale, and Tristan looked like he was wearing his PJ's in public.  It probably didn't help that he was wearing his tracky pants and Tiger's jersey underneath.

Given that it was Halloween, the colours orange and black had prominence in the food and drink, decorations and candy.  We only decorated the entry of our house with a jack-o-lantern (cut by Tristan) and a smiley face in the mirror.  We had about 50 kids come trick-or-treating to our door.  There were some very cute costumes, some that were a little bit too grown up for kiddies to be wearing, and one terrifying clown that gave me bad dreams that night.  While I'm glad this tradition doesn't have a foot hold at home (yet) it was nice to experience it from this side of the fence.  I'll have to think up a good costume for RJ to wear next year :-)

This week we got to experience one of the most wonderful things ever - seeing our son in 3D.  During a scan, the lovely lady showed me what RJ looks like - in orange and black.  I actually think the world stopped for a few seconds while I soaked up that tiny little image.  Needless to say, daddy's genes are dominant with the Apperley nose and chin on display.  I think I might have a look in with his little squinty eyes, that even opened during the scan.  His little hands are cupping his face, and you could even see his little nails starting to grow.  It was AMAZING!!

Last night, Tristan surprised me with a lovely date to see the Lion King in the city.  We got all dressed up and spent over an hour stuck in traffic getting to the theater. Once there, the visual spectacular was incredible - overwhelmingly dominated by orange and black.  As we watched the lovely story of Simba, I couldn't help but letting the pregnancy hormones overwhelm me when Mufasa cuddles his son, and when at the end of the show the show the cycle continues when Simba does the same. Ahh - life reflected in theater (or vice versa). Good thing that Tristan was so entranced in the show, he didn't see me have a little teary in the corner.

All in all, I think the universe is subtly preparing Tristan and I for orange and black in our future.... not sure if that means RJ will be a raging ranga like his dad with dark eyes like his mum, or if basketball looking aliens are about to invade, or that the harvest festival has infested my brain and I have become colour blind to the rest of the rainbow spectrum... pregnancy may have made me a little more crazy than normal...

Oh, and for all those on baby bump watch, I can confirm that I am looking more than festively plump - there is definitely something going on inside my belly. I'll get Tristan to get a photo soon.

Lots of love

Tristan, Penni and RJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment